View Single Post
Old 4th September 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

[QUOTE=katana]Bravo Jim and Lee ,
I have often argued that European weapons should be represented in an Ethnographic weapons forum. Afterall some ethno weapons have trade blades, a number of weapon designs were heavily influenced by 'invading' (trading ?) colonialists (and vis versa) ...and of course it gives some sort of context to the weapons tribesmen faced when Europeans suddenly 'turned up' on their doorstep.
ENDQUOTE

Very well said David! Those very factors have long been the reason to comingle the weapons of many of the international powers, both civilian and military with those of native weapons in various cultures. While including these in the focus on certain ethnographic weaponry certainly gave perspective, these various civilian and military forms could not receive the proper investigation and discussion in the history they themselves carried.

I began collecting military swords many years ago, and eventually became intrigued by the weapons that often returned home with soldiers from many colonized places, and truly the comprehensive representation of the weapons of all sides was fantastic.

While I still truly love the study of ethnographic weapons, I have realized that with the European arms and armor, there was so much left to learn and discover. In many instances there has been far too much complacency left with profoundly important weapon forms, and too often I have seen incredibly outdated ideas still around concerning them.

With the knowledge of the membership here that has established so many advances in the study of ethnographic weapons, it is certain that the same will be applied here to vastly broaden our scope, and comprehensively develop the important study of arms and armour as a whole.

In addition to the participation of the membership here, I'm really looking forward to that of the countless readers who have interests in these weapons and have lurked these forums for some time. I invite all of them to bring thier weapons and questions to the forum....as always, we learn together!!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote