View Single Post
Old 8th April 2022, 11:16 PM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for those pics Gustav. Yes, a couple of those selut certainly seem to be the same motif, but I'm not so sure about the one where the individual dots have been separated into "islands".

Still, it is interesting to see these old examples.

These days this pattern selut is one of the lower priced styles, but way back when these ones that you have shown us were made I'd guess they were probably no better & no worse than most other selut in the market place.

For the last 50 or 60 years, in Solo, it has not been the usual practice to get a selut made for a hilt, but rather to get the hilt made to fit the selut, or to do a retro fitting of selut to an existing hilt. So a client will approach the tukang jejeran with his order and provide a selut, or perhaps only a mendak, and the tukang jejeran will make the hilt to fit that selut. In any case, most of the component parts for keris dress are made to standards that permit a high degree of flexibility in fitting.

The question of "quality" in a selut or mendak is one where we would need to first establish exactly what we meant by "quality". Some lower priced selut can be quite well made & durable, some higher priced selut can be poorly made and flimsy, even though they might look good in a photo. Then there is the difference between a selut with a cast body and a selut with a fabricated body, or the difference between stones that are held in place with adhesive and stones that are in a setting.

A similar thing applies with mendak:- is it fabricated, or cast, or stamped out, or produced by embossing or repousse, or has a combination of techniques been used?

We are only in a position to appraise quality of any type of work if we understand the processes that are used in production.

For example, have a look at the mendak on the keris under discussion. Based upon what we can see in the photograph, what process might have been used to produce this mendak? Is this a high quality mendak or a mendak that would slot nicely into the lower priced end of the scale?

Incidentally, if that selut does indeed test as silver, rather than as silver plated brass, my estimate of age was wrong. In recent times this pattern of selut seems to have invariably been made in brass & then plated, so if the one under discussion is indeed silver, that would place it earlier than current era.

The pendok on this keris does not appear to be copper, it looks like silver or mamas, the bruise pattern inclines me to nominate silver.

The only way we can be certain about the material used in these keris fittings --- & other things produced in Jawa --- is to go to the inside of the object, heavily scrape the surface and then use a test fluid.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 8th April 2022 at 11:32 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote