View Single Post
Old 5th March 2021, 02:20 PM   #37
drac2k

Gonzoadler makes an excellent point that while this might not serve as protection from a bullet, this certainly would prove effective in deflecting a sword blade in the late 18th or early 19th Century which would have still been the prevalent mode of combat at that time.
To many in the forum, the mix of a European-style breastplate with rivets, and the embellished with a crocodile hide poses a problem, however to me it makes perfect sense. Throughout Africa's history, European Nations had a presence there as they were vying for Colonies for trade and to offset the power of other countries.
A present of a metal cuirass in the 1880s or 1890s to an important African person would have been highly prized. These were readily available and no longer meant to serve as protection, but more for pomp and ceremony in the West; An example that readily comes to mind is the cuirass that is still used by the English Household Cavalry Life Guards to this day. It is plausible to me that this valuable item would then be Africanized. The possibility of the rosettes in the form of the cross doesn't bother me either as there are religious battles still being engaged in that country to this day; if a Cross could protect a Crusader, why not a Chieftan or as Jim commented, it could merely be talismanic and have nothing to do with Christianity.
It has been noted that there isn't a museum number on this piece, which is valid, however in the past when I acquired several pieces formerly from a Movie Studio, they were clearly marked "Property of RKO Studio; "since this piece isn't so marked, I think that this argument is a draw, neither proving nor disproving the pieces origin.
It has also been stated that this item has been glued to the cuirass, which makes sense to me as glues have been known for centuries such as the ones used by the Mongolians and the Ottomans on their compound bows.

Last edited by drac2k; 5th March 2021 at 02:36 PM.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote