View Single Post
Old 21st January 2015, 08:39 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thank you both, Battara and Kai.

Before posting my question I did do a little bit of research myself, including lengthy discussions with a couple of international courier companies, and our own national postal service here in Australia.

It seems that there is no prohibition per se on the admission of edged weapons into Italy, but as with many countries, if you live in Italy and wish to collect and import edged weapons you do need the proper authorisations.

Yes, precise descriptions on the customs documents are essential, and yes, there are recognised ways in which to move around most prohibitions.

What I was really looking for was the legislation that governs both possession and import.

My experience seems to indicate that the problem is not with the legislation that governs possession and import, but rather with the international agreements to which Poste Italiane is subject.

In fact, according to what I have been told by Australia Post officers, Australia Post is subject to the same agreements, however, the postal authorities in some countries have chosen to apply the strictest possible interpretation to the provisions of the agreement(s) in order to reduce their exposure to risk and to reduce the workload on staff.

This would seem to be the case in Italy.

However, what I would really like to see is the Italian legislation that governs possession and import of edged weapons. If not the actual legislation, then an informed interpretation of it.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote