View Single Post
Old 4th October 2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Nick Wardigo

Default Vietnamese Shield

I purchased this a few months ago, and I wanted to get the opinions of the forum.

Dimensions are 50 inches tall by 16 inches wide. It is composed entirely of lacquered wood with iron or steel nails. The image on the front is of a dragon descending from the clouds, breathing water into the ocean as a flying fish swims up the spray of water. I have seen this motif twice before, and both were on Vietnamese items (one was on a kiem I own that I lectured on in Baltimore a few years ago).

The nails are machined. This, coupled with the overall good condition of the shield, dates this piece as no older than mid-nineteenth century. I do believe that this is a processional piece due to the high quality of lacquerwork and its heavy weight (you really don't want to fight with this for any length of time in a rainforest).

I have come across one other documented example of a similar shield in the Barbier-Mueller Museum book on shields (page 132-133). The shield in that book is of almost identical dimensions to my shield, but it is composed of rattan. I suspect that this IS a combat shield, and my shield is a processional version of it.

I have come across a few other examples in Vietnamese artwork, but the Barbier-Mueller example is the only other physical example. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
Nick
Attached Images

Nick Wardigo is offline   Reply With Quote