View Single Post
Old 7th August 2006, 05:42 PM   #40
nechesh

Frankly Wayne, i'm not too sure i really like the thought of ANY keris being destroyed for this purpose. I can tell you (though i certainly can't prove it ) that your gut feeling on this matter is most probably entirely correct. I think you would find a relatively few keris actually contain this material. I would also image that when meteorite was used it was not for unimportant blades, so i'm not too sure that looking for meteorite in what some refer to as "junk" blades is going to prove very much since these blades are not likely to contain it. I do believe there is a look and feel that does indicate the likelihood of meteorite and i believe these clues have been discussed in the past, but i think that the only way to really convey this information would be studying these blades in person with someone who is familar with this ID process. It's a bit hard to get that kind of knowledge across on the internet. Ultimitely i think that determining this matters much more to market values and dealers than it does to the real study of keris, but i guess that's just my way of looking at it. It would be nice to know if i had a meteorite keris, but i am not up to destroying any keris to prove it.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote