View Single Post
Old 11th November 2015, 07:40 PM   #19
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Raf's approach to the Puckle gun shows us an amazing angle of the bullet history.
Not yet knowing about it, i browsed the Net and i found in the Wiki such bizarre justification for his selection of different bullet shapes:

Puckle demonstrated two configurations of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets. The square bullets were considered to be more damaging. They would, according to the patent, "convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization."...

Back to ancient clod shot, not only Marcus has the examples he shows us here but i am aware that he is also familiar with square or, better say, cylindrical whole lead bullets, which are also an interesting variant of these ancient projectiles.
The ones below are also very interesting, although not so intrincate as those initially shown.

And if i may digress a bit more ...
I bet you people are aware that although gunmakers only decided to change the bullets shape to a cylindrical and pointed design in the second quarter XIX century, there are drawings of Leonardo Da Vinci showing such idea.
I was also thrilled when a year ago i handled a fine flintlock musket with a square bore, something i thought to be only a fantasy. But i took it as just an exhibiting purpose of both gunmaker and customer, that not for practical reasons.
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote