View Single Post
Old 15th November 2010, 09:22 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Firstly, I don't believe the piece to be a Sundang as such. It looks more like a kris from somewhere like Mindanaw.
Secondly, I don't think that it's a "Ganjo iras", as I seem to detect a distinct separation between the blade and the base section.
Actually, i have read that in Maranao the "correct" name for a kris with a straight blade is Sundang Espada. If this is correct then it would indeed be far to refer to this Maranao straight kris as a Sundang (as such).
We as Western collectors tend to generalize (or perhaps simplify) our terminology with these weapons, but it is important to remember that each of the Moro tribes have there own unique ways of referring to their weapons and parts of them.
Kai, i'm not really sure what you see that makes you lean towards doubting a separate gangya. I don't think we see enough info in this one image to be clear in either direction.
The hilt may indeed not be original to the blade, but it certainly wasn't originally attached this way. This is an old field repair and what it tells me is that this kris was a "user" and that someone did what they could in order to make it functional quickly.
I'm also not sure what you are implying Kai when you say that this "greneng" is not "traditional". It certainly is unusal, but i have seen other variations on this theme. What "tradition" do you think it comes from?
Does anyone have a link to the original auction? Were there more photos?
David is offline   Reply With Quote