View Single Post
Old 29th July 2016, 06:08 PM   #12
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello,

I remember discussing quite extensively your Pulowar recently (the discussion we had about the fullers at the thread regarding the blade of my Pulowar), so you know my opinion.

Now, I find very strange that the base metal in the cartouches shows nothing of the "wear" the rest of the blade shows. If the blade was corroded then cleaned, shouldn't the cartouches be equally corroded and cleaned? What protected the cartouches from the corrosion that presumably affected the rest of the blade? What protected the cartouches and the cartouches alone with such minute precision?

And just as a hunch, I believe both swords come from the same workshop, but of course more detailed photos would help a lot (I am particularly curious about the fullers, more exactly about the beginings/ends of the fullers).

I've seen this very same sword prior to its etching. It was aggressively and inconsistently etched. Who ever polished decided not to touch the cartouches and tried hard to get a pattern out of the steel thus giving it the inconsistent look.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote