View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
it is good occasionally to disagree, but I think you ascribe too much real stuff to ceremonial dress parties and gifts. eg the fine chain mail shirt.
attached a number of examples with a small beak similar to the Higgins hammer.
There is no problem that you disagree, but none of my arguments has been disproved. I know the most examples from Armi Bianche Italiane, but the beak of these is not as short as it looks at first sight, because they are stouter in section and not very acutely pointed. The pole-axe( from Fernando) has surely a beak of more than 7 cm. The hammer with the etched haft has a beak of c.7 cm, the hammer with the dragon (#33-34 in Armi) c.6.5 cm and the hammer with the wooden haft (#266in Armi) c.7cm. These lengths are sufficient to penetrate armour and a skull, but not the 2 cm of the hammer in discussion.

By way of example: if you are attacked and you have a dagger in your left pocket with a blade of 8 cm, and a penknive in your right pocket. Which would you choose to defend you?

Attached are some photos of swords from Armi Bianche. All have long blades. Are these fighting- swords or splendor- swords?
The answer is simple. The same is the case with the hammer under discussion.

Best
Attached Images

Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote