View Single Post
Old 9th May 2012, 06:30 PM   #19
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish
... And Fernando, if you carry a splendor-hammer with you, you will surely not hold in in your hands all the day. Sometimes you must put it in your belt! ...
One thing i know for sure is that my extremely limited knowledge would not stand opposing your points of view ... neither could i afford to go into an academic discussion but, if you allow me:
If i have the correct conception of of splendor-item, the belt hook seems somehow inappropriate. If the Lord is tired to hold it, will pass it to his page ... a bit like with great swords and other symbolic devices. Its eventual retirement to the belt would take its splendor, defying protocol. In my perspective the belt hook means permanent endurance, going to the field for action.
I dare to say that the war-hammer you now post is something rather distinct. I would hardly compare it to the item under discussion, for what matters. I take this opportunity to post the only "crow-beak" existing in Portugal, of the type often seen in engravings being held by the Aljubarrota hero Dom Nuno Alvares Pereira (end XIV century). This is a weapon intended to be used by infantry against cavalry, in a period when pawns (footmen) started to chalenge kinghts charisma.
(Collection Rainer Daehnhardt).

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote