Thread: Zulu Axe
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Freddy

Arrow

I found a description of a Zulu axe in the book 'The Anatomy of the Zulu Army from Shaka to Cetshwayo 1818-1879' by Ian Knight (1995)

Here is what the author writes :

"Lastly, the Zulus also knew of the battle-axe, although it was usually only carried by men of status, and as a ceremonial weapon rather than for fighting. Lacking the technology to pierce metal or work it into a tube, most southern African groups employed an axe blade which fitted into a wooden handle, rather than the other way round. Among the Shona people of Zimbabwe and the Sotho groups of the interior, axes with half-moon blades were common; the curved edge was the cutting edge, whilst a tang emerged from the straight back and pierced the handle horizontally, a few inches below the top. There is some evidence that such axes were traded into Zululand, although the true Zulu axe - known as 'ISIZENZE' - seems to have been a heavier weapon, with a steeply angled blade, the top edge projecting noticeably above the handle. When employed in battle, it was wielded with a chopping movement, and the lower portion could be used to hook the edge of an enemy's shield, and pull it aside."

Unfortunately, there are no pictures in this book of such an axe.

Here is my axe. I bought it as a Swazi axe. Total length is 91,5 cm. The axe blade measures 41 cm from top to bottom, with a cutting edge of 56 cm. The stem of the axe blade has been twisted and is inserted in the shaft in the usual fashion. In addition, three strips of woven copper wire (?) embellish the handle.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote