View Single Post
Old 13th February 2017, 04:09 PM   #38
rickystl

Hi Richard.

OK....You beat me to it. YAY !!! VERY COOL !!! Wonder how long it's been since it was fired ? Lol. Congratulations.
Yes, sounds like the bore needs some more work. The scale can be especially difficult. What I use to use, and still sometimes do, is a modern shotgun hone. I found that just going back and forth, manually with the hone works much better then the Emory. And cuts faster. Even better, the hone using a drill with a VERY SLOW rpm setting. They are hard to find nowadays. The slow rpm with even motion is less likely to form rings. At least that's been my experience. Works great especially with pistol length smooth bore barrels.
On long barrels, I send them to the barrel smith. He has special tools and jigs to burnish a barrel in about 10 minutes. And can do barrels up to 72 inches. And very reasonable.
The "colored" leather bands is a good idea !!! I think red would look good. But any color would probably look good. Yes, I would go with the color versus the brown or tan.
Oh good. Sarah took some pics !!! Can't wait to see the finished gun. A smoother bore and closer fitting ball will probably reduce those 50 yard groups in half.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote