View Single Post
Old 25th August 2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I neglected to note that my suggestion on flawed casting was also suggested by Dmitry, and although not established as a conclusion here, seems to remain plausible.

On the dynamics involved in firing, I wanted to thank Krockew for the fantastic and beautifully explained examples of firing and characteristics of these various projectiles. Along with the excellent example shown by Chris of the deformed shot from the battlefield, this material really begins to have fascinating dimension, and its great to learn more about the history of these cannons and firing.

Good example on the expansion of the metal when heated Fernando, and point well taken about heat expansion....really have had to watch tire inflation in travelling through these desert areas in temps up to 120 degrees indexed!!

Actually the more I look at the example Fernando has posted, it seems perhaps it might reflect distortion that might result in forward force as from being fired while extremely hot (as previously suggested). I am wondering if spherical shot when fired would spin or turn, or would the forward force keep it relatively fixed? more physics I guess, but if it was relatively fixed, the material would distort and begin to trail, yes?

On Chris' example, found on a California battlefield, I'm not sure the distortion here would be from heated shot as I dont think they would have used that in ths case. From what I understand, the heated shot was intended for incendiary results, and these would not have been required in a frontier battle where no structures were in place. It would have been logistically improbable as well IMO, so this example must have resulted from other causes. Even an excessive charge in firing would have only created a momentary burst of heat without duration and not been able to distort the shot, I would think.

Yup, definitely a music lover Nando!!! everything from blues to rock to heavy metal (wonder why they never had a group named cannonballs? ....and yes, I do know who Cannonball Adderly was !! Hard not to, one of the greats.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 25th August 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote