View Single Post
Old 14th September 2015, 11:27 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
As you can see it is made for a small hand, I can not get more than 3 fingers round the grip but it is no toy. The etched decoration is nice, but means there is no way I can check for a laminated blade... Could this be a faked damascus or of some other significance. I am also intrigued by the lack of suspension loop on the back and what looks to be an extra pocket behind the bi-knives.
Hello David,

Nice to see you have caught the kukri bug, I warned you they are addictive!

You kukri appears to be a very well made traditional Nepalese example, dating somewhere from the very end of the 19thC, into the first quarter of the 20thC.

There are no belt loops, as it would traditionally have been carried in the belt sash. I have attached an image to demonstrate the traditional carry.

The etched blade decoration is not commonly encountered, and certainly lifts an otherwise "standard" piece up, and was obviously added to demonstrate the owner was a "cut" above!

Is it etched on both sides?

Repair work on old scabbards is common, especially on these older pieces. It is very easy to cut through the inside edge of the scabbard when drawing the blade if one is not used to handling a kukri.

I look forward to seeing your other piece too!

Kind regards,

Chris

PS How did you find the Birmingham fair? There were three big fairs on that day, I am sure the organisers do it on purpose out of rivalry, but it only hurts the dealers, and the collectors, who cannot be in three places at once!
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote