View Single Post
Old 19th September 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
laEspadaAncha

IMO the brass has an Indian 'flavor' to it, and to cast a reasonably accurate depiction of a thistle hilt from a dirk would have been an easy task for a brass sculptor on the subcontinent.

You'd be amazed (then again, probably not! ) at the diversity of (brass) forms I've encountered in the souks and bazaars in India, made during and for the British during the British Raj.

A couple other observations:

- The uneven patina on the brass hilt IMO speaks to an object that was hung, vertically, and more or less unpertrubed for several decades.

- The blade appears to have a hollow grind, similar to (though longer than) the Faribairn Sykes F-S stiletto and similarly profiled fighting knives that evolved as a result of the fighting style adapted & developed by Fairbairn and Sykes while training the Shanghai police during the early 20th century. There were several similarly-profiled fighting knives made during the 2nd quarter of the 20th century (and ever since!).

- While I am by no means sure, I perceive what might(?) be interpreted as an anchor on the side of the pommel. Might this indicate a naval association? Maybe a one-off commissioned by someone from the Royal Navy, as a 'bungalow piece' or otherwise?

I went and found the listing and pulled a couple additional photos, and have highlighted on one what appears as if it could be an anchor:
Attached Images

laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote