Thread: keris Lombok
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2010, 12:04 AM   #12
guwaya

however lombok kerisses are influence by balinesse...but if we look at the sheath (TULANG PAOK /lombok) ,we will see the diferences between LOMBOK and Balinesse (BATUN POH).
and the KOJONGAN sheath ; i believe (at least as far as i know),we only can find it in lombok.
i am so sorry about my english.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

After my knowledge and my experience I think there are no real Lombok keris. 20 years ago when keris where offered to me at Lombok it was always in the western region where the Balinese communities are. Looking to the blade and without having any sheath or hilt I would not be berani to decide if it is a Balinese blade or if it is a Lombok blade (whatever this might be).

The polishing or not polishing of a blade doesn't say anything nowadays about the origin. As already remarked old blades from the Balinese comunity on Lombok are newly washed and possibly not polished again. The newly made blades nowadays - mostly by Madurese people - are most often polished.

To take the sheath or the hilt as an indication for attributing a keris to Bali or Lombok in my eyes is not a serious way as these attributions can be changed easily and are changed whenever wanted.

In my eyes the lots of "Lombok keris" on the market now is a dealers' concept same to the lots of Sumbawa keris.

If I stepped on someone's feet here with my short statement I apologize for that in advance but this is the way I see the situation.
guwaya is offline   Reply With Quote