View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 03:45 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default K a l a w i j a -- The Unordinary Dhapur

Dear All,

Kalawija in keris, is a classification of kerises with unordinary dhapur. You must differ with "modern keris" which sometimes abides the pakem rule. Kalawija is still in a pakem rule of keris, although the form and style is unordinary.

Kerises with luks or curves more than 13, Javanese calls such keris as "Kalawija". But Kalawija itself is not the name of the dhapur. It is just classification.

This time, I will show you one kalawija keris, bears dhapur "Kalabendu" with 29 luks. I got this keris 11 years ago, once exhibited by a kerabat (family) of Mangkubumi (Yogyakartanese ruler), at Bentara Budaya Keris Exhibition in Jakarta 1996.

You may "loop" the kalawija keris by such way (like in picture), to see how still artistic the kalawija keris, quite in line, although with too many luks. The keris is still with normal size, like any other Mataram era kerises.

The pamor is also not common. We call it, "pamor dwi warna" or there are two kinds of pamor in one blade. The first is of course the main pamor "beras wutah" (the scattered rice?) and the second is "sekar kopi" or coffee's bloom (may be not the right English word, pls correct it)
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote