View Single Post
Old 18th March 2012, 06:14 PM   #47
harimauhk

Now I see why Vinny had so many questions about the siraui! I have a Minangkabau one that is absolutely meant to be a weapon. The handle and sheath are beautifully carved and the blade is chased. Being a practitioner of Minang silat, it could absolutely be used as a weapon in either grip. I can see many ways it would integrate seamlessly in that manner.

I'd rather not get into specifics about use, but based on its size, I believe this kind of blade would possibly have been intended for srikandi (female warriors), a la Minang kerambit. The men would have preferred the sewar, tumbuk lada or keris. I can see how the larger ones could have been battlefield weapons, however. I have a very large modern Javanese one that again is absolutely intended for combat.

It could be used as a slasher or a stabber. It could also very well be used for utility. Cutting plants at their base with one with the edge up in forward/hammer grip would be much more natural than with the edge down.

North of Minangkabau, the Acehnese have long had their rencong, which is definitely all combat, so using an edge up or edge in fighting knife is not really unusual for the region.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote