View Single Post
Old 13th January 2006, 02:00 PM   #14
erlikhan

Most of the photos posted above belong to qamas,daggers and swords of semi-nomadicTurcoman origin, starting from Azerbaijan's Caspian sea shore and Northern Iraq to west, well through west-central Turkey,more concentrated in Eastern Turkey. Four of the swords are of Sultan Murad 4 (1630s).The pistoles which look as if covered with huge corals and in fact NOT coralled. The red material is old form of acrylic and I doubt about their Algerian origin very much. Once one of them was auctioned in an auction house here, and an Iranian dealer explained me it was Iran originated style, once widely used and still known method of coral or turquoise looking acrylic, even offered me to enter the auction and to win that pistol,so that he would take it to Iran, and make it copied exactly in numbers like 20-30 to sell abroad
Coralled and turquoised daggers were existing in village houses traditionally in western-central Turkey till 1960's, in miniaturized and simplyfied forms, red glasses started to be used instead of corals in 20th century. I have such miniature samples but still old,with real corals and will post their pictures when I find time.
regards

Last edited by erlikhan; 13th January 2006 at 03:14 PM.
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote