View Single Post
Old 7th February 2015, 06:32 AM   #22
DaveA

Default Notes on Naga Tribes

Great thread! This will be a good resource.

I am interested in the Naga and other tribes of Assam and nearby regions. Here are some notes i've picked up during my studies. This information comes from a variety of sources, not all of which can I remember. The website forensicfashion.com has notes regarding a number of ethnographic peoples of possible interest to this group.

Here are the notes:
  • Heath ill. Perry 1999 p22
    "Regarded by some Victorian commentators as constituting 'the wildest and most turbulent tribes adjacent to any part of our Indian dominions,' the Nagas inhabited the hills that separated Assam from North-West Burma.* The most important of their 40 or so tribes were the Angamis (Ang), Aos, Kachas, Lhotas, Rengmas, Semas (also called Sumi), and numerous small tribes referred to collectively as the Eastern or Naked Nagas, or Konyaks."
  • Secret museum of mankind v3
    "The generic term of Naga is given to a series of hill tribes in north-east India, distinguished as using no weapons but the javelin and dao, or billhook.* Little is known of them save that they were early worshippers of the serpent, whence they derive their name, 'Naga.'* Formerly inveterate marauders, their attitude towards the dwellers in the plains is less hostile now."
  • ASSAM-UPPER BURMA 19THC TRIBES:
    Kachin
    Singpho
    Konyak - eastern Naga
    Ang - belong to ruling clan of the Konyak.
  • Arya & Joshi 2004 p43
    "The Angs belong to the ruling clan of the Konyak, who are distributed in Arunachal Pradesh, the Mon district of Nagaland and in Myanmar.* Each Ang exercises influence over a group of villages.* The Angs themselves come under a Great Ang."
  • Stirn & van Ham 2003 p37
    "The*angs, the Konyak chiefs, still hold a king-like position in society and are entitled to numerous wives ... as well as to levy taxes in kind from allied villages."

… to be continued.

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote