View Single Post
Old 4th January 2009, 04:31 PM   #19
erikscollectables

Alan,

The text might be from any date before 1950, that it is earlier than that is just specultation from my side, not based on any facts. Maybe the picture will shed light on this as it is way beyond my knowledge...

Regards, Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
You could well be right, Erik, but this type of filling was only possible with the introduction of epoxy resins. I do not know of any older method of filling that was used.If you are absolutely certain that it came to Holland pre-1950, then this filling job must have been done in Holland.

Re the text, can you please explain to me why you are so certain that it was added in the 19th century?

Speaking for myself, I can see nothing that would indicate to me when it was added, nor why.

As I have said previously, I could speculate a lot. But speculation is not necessarily actuality.

Erik, perhaps I should add this:- I have seen this type of thing many, many times. I'm not looking at something unfamiliar, to me, this keris is as usual as it would be for you to look at, say, a car number plate. I've seen this lettering added to keris that had been stored in a cupboard in a warehouse since the 1920's; I've also seen it added to keris that had been altered within the last couple of weeks. But I still cannot tell from looking at it when it might have been done, unless I know---positively know---something else about the keris, such as the fact that it is wrapped in 1928 newspaper and that it belonged to the father of a friend of my wife.
The filling is something that is equally usual, but I've never seen anything else but a modern epoxy type adhesive used.
erikscollectables is offline   Reply With Quote