View Single Post
Old 20th December 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Bangkaya

Nice old bolo. Bolos from Luzon all look very similar and their scabbards even more so. Tooled leather scabbards are common throughout Luzon. Batangas would be a good guess, however, typically a bolo from Batangas would have a smaller, narrower ferrule. Hilts would either be more figural such as a horse head or the "Katipunan fist." If not figural, just a truncated or flared hilt.

Your bolo looks more like it's from Pangasinan. The typical "horse-hoof" or "dog-head" hilt as you call it is more common in Pangasinan and Pampanga (to a lesser degree) than anywhere else in Luzon. The lack of a cross guard also hints more of a Pangasinan origin. As for age, it is difficult to date these bolos since they are still making the same ones today with very little change. I have a WWII scout bolo (it also has the "katmon" flower design on the scabbard throat as well as the P.I. Scout insignia) that looks newer than yours so yours may actually be older. But, I've seen newer bolos from Pangasinan that's seen hard use look far older. My guess is that yours is older judging by just patina on the scabbard and bolo itself.

As for particular name, dahon palay or even matulis would be the blade shape. However, most people there don't call it by their blade shape but rather refer to it as a bolo or itak.

Regards,

Bangkaya
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote