View Single Post
Old 8th December 2013, 05:41 PM   #12
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It sounds like perhaps in these tournaments certain knights had 'sponsors' ? ..
... Ah, most certainly Jim ... in their own (period) manner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
...Kronkew has perfectlyscribed another aspect or phenomenon of the study of medieval knightly battles I had not been fully aware of, that there are few, if any, archaeological remnants of these battles ..
This riddle must surely be a matter for discussion among historians and archeologists. In my poorest perspective a couple of reasons must be in the origin of such mistery. First and, as suggested, spots where battles took place are both imprecise and rather disperse, covering vast areas, thus not enabling for concentration of battle remnants. I guess that where conflicts took place in more concentrated or inequivocal areas, like sieging or assaulting fortifications, probabilities of finding abandoned stuff are higher. I am thinking, for one, of the number of crossbow bolts i can see (and acquire) in Lisbon arms shops, found in the outskirts of the local Moorish/Christian castle, origin of various historical conflicts. Surely objects of higher value are also found there, but not exposed by the dozen in public shops . I suspect another reason for not finding things in battle fields out in the open is because they are actually found by anonimous locals, on grounds of picking souvenirs, for the various reasons, right after events take place, leaving no left overs for 'official finders'.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote