View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In checking "The Smallsword in England" , J.Aylward, 1945, there is really not a hilt that corresponds to this one, which though very attractive, is by smallsword standards quite workmanlike. It seems rudimentally styled in line with the tall hilt and pronounced pas d'ane rings of mid 18th century.

It is noted by Aylward that brass hilts were typically not highly regarded as were the very ornate and chiseled hilts often favored with these fashion oriented swords. Also, that they were "...usually a casting left almost untouched as it came from the molds, copying in a summary kind of way the features of the more expensive hilts of its period" (p.55).

It is noted that these were usually furnished by 17th century rapier blades, often German made (but carrying the Spanish names often spuriously applied).
It seems this blade is likely a genuine 18th century smallsword example. It also states in the book that in 1760's and somewhat later German makers produced rather plain hilts for English market.

At least this gives us some idea on this one, I would think probably about latter 18th century. Whether considered rather pedestrian or not by smallsword enthusiasts, I think its a rather handsome weapon, and looks like it could be pretty lethal (though Aylward claims the brass hilts were heavy and not well balanced).

Those are just my ideas from this book, and I hope there are others out there that might offer observations as well. Smallswords are really pretty specialized, but a most fascinating topic that it would be great to learn more about.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote