View Single Post
Old 15th October 2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

VERY NICE Jon!!!
As always, I turn to my trusty Neumann ("Swords and Blades of the American Revolution", 1973), and on p.98, 110.S is pretty much an identical (or dramatically similar) hilt. Described as an English cuttoe c.1750-80 and as used by officers in French-Indian and Revolutionary wars.

The pommel is not a 'dogs head' but a lion head, with these often sold and traded between furbishers along with various hilt components. The ivory grip here would normally have silver banding in the gadrooned channels.
The dot and sphere device is a widely used decorative theme which it seems was quite present in the decoration of Scottish swords in some cases, so possibly might lend to that sort of connotation. On the other hand, Neumann (p.122, 181S) is an American version of 1760-80 which has a bone grip with stained in spherical devices in similar patterns, and these kinds of decorative stylings seem to be more prevalent in the Colonial examples.

The blade is much like that in the Neumann example, which I think has been termed a 'Montmorency' type cross section. It would be great if there were any signs of makers marks.

As always, hoping for Glen to show up here.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th October 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote