Thread: Deccan tulwar
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2022, 11:09 PM   #48
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Ren Ren, the Tibetan swords you show seem to have a Kala on them? Would you say that is a Tibetan addition that fits conveniently into the space or is it an implied motif on the Chinese and Indian examples also? I.e. time and death devouring all.
Donald LaRocca uses the Tibetan name "tsi pa ta" in his book, which is exactly the same as the Sanskrit "kirttimukha". I do not know if the kirttimukha mask is used in the decoration of Indian weapons. China has its own symbol - the mask of Tao Tie 饕餮 (you can translate it as "Terrible Glutton"). This is a very ancient symbol, it has been known since at least 1300 BC. Later, it partially united with the kirttimukha symbol, which brought Buddhism from India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
The visors of the Mongolian helmets state this as well or just share a silhouette? Seeing that pattern repeat was a very good catch.
I suppose that if you wish, you can find parallels between the silhouette of the visor of the Mongolian helmets and Buddhist religious objects, such as the headdresses of monks and priests. But this is hardly connected directly with the symbol tsi pa ta/kirttimukha.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote