View Single Post
Old 28th October 2023, 01:44 PM   #26
Peter Hudson

Default Border Reiver Swords...Schiavona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman View Post
Hi Jim.
Well mentioned; it has long been my belief that many Reivers carried a schiavona.
I am certain Peter has details of the mercenary activities of the disinherited and outlawed border clans who were available for hire abroad.
Equally, as you point out, the obsession with Andrea Ferara blades and Bonnie Prince Charlie strengthens the Italian connection.
I should add this into the mix:
It is interesting that the first nationwide mention of a basket hilt referred to it as "Irish" because there is also this recently suggested business of 'mortuary' hilts being made in Islay which was the original home of the Dalriadic tribes that encompassed North Eastern Eire as well as Argyle.
I'm sniffing around this issue.
Hello Keith...Indeed you have a point! I looked up Border Reiver Swords on the Web and it is clearly there...thus I place it below. Not surprising noting how the flow of mercenaries back and forth to and from Europe and its many wars. A lot of these weapons would naturally have remained in the homes of Border Reivers simply through the habit of these men simply flowing back to civilian life after a spell abroad...In fact it ws also the habit of Henry VIII to release men fro the payroll once they had returned from time overseas in European skirmishes and wars...Another Border Reiver sword I often see noted in documents is the Winger.
In another web related search I noted that the so called Schiavana shown here could be described more accurately ...From https://fallingangelslosthighways.bl...in-museum.html
I Quote" And whilst the weapon above is strictly speaking not a Schiavona… since the developed form of that weapon is unlikely to have been in use this early…. then it is quite possible that this may be the prototype, and therefore it is probably best referred to as a “Germanic, Schiavona Prototype.”Unquote.

Regards Peter.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 28th October 2023 at 04:09 PM.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote