View Single Post
Old 9th March 2012, 06:01 PM   #45
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I actually brought up the difference in the two "types" of siraui to question if these are not in fact two completely different knives with different names. The name game can get quite ridiculous at times, but one thing we know for sure is that established writers have not always gotten them exactly right at times.
From the people I have talked to it seems they are called the same thing. But it is true that writers have not always gotten it right and locals call it what they will, and such things can change with time too.

For this topic of the 2 forms, I think Sajen says it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I think that David is correct when I handle my two pieces. Like I have written before I tend to say that my pieces are utility knifes.
But when I look to the second piece from Michael in post # 15 and the two from Charles in #19 it could be good possible that these ones was used as weapons.
I agree.

Is anyone here in touch with weapon experts on Sumatra that could tell us if there is a naming difference? Or perhaps they are called the same thing but used differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In my experience, knives from the entire Indonesian area that are used as weapons have blade geometry that presents a grind on either side of the blade, knives that have a chisel grind, as this knife presently under discussion does, are work knives. .
The one I have in #31 doesn't have a chisel grind. It has an edge on both sides. Do the 90 degree choil, non-fullered variety have a chisel grind?
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote