View Single Post
Old 25th August 2012, 02:04 AM   #17
bluelake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
THE LAST PICTURE POSTED IN THIS THREAD APPEARS TO BE A GOOD BRONZE REPLICA CHINESE SWORD I HAVE SEEN MANY SUCH ITEMS AND THE ONES I HAVE HAD FOR MANY YEARS HAVE NEVER DEFORMED OR CRACKED.
Yes, it is an excellent replica, which is why I use it in my Korean history and culture classes as a show-and-tell item regarding bronze weapons.

Quote:
HERE ARE PICTURES OF THE GREEK LETTEROPENER (SORRY FOR THE POOR QUALITY PICTURES I TRIED SEVERAL TIMES BUT THESE WERE THE BEST I COULD DO AND I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO LIGHTEN OR INHANCE CONTRAST). THIS GREEK ITEM IS MADE OF A POOR TYPE OF POT METAL AND WILL NOT DRAW A MAGNET THE PATINA HAS BEEN APPLIED TO THE OUTSIDE THE INSIDE RESEMBLES YOUR ITEM IN COLOR. NOTE THE BLADE HAS BENT AND IS BRITTLE THE TIP BROKE OFF SO IT CAN'T BE STRAIGHTENED. THERE ARE CRACKS THRU OUT AND IT CONTINUES TO DEGRADE.
When I lived in Greece (exchange student back in the 70s), I picked up a really nice letter opener from an outdoor seller. It was the family's go-to opener and is still in excellent shape.

Quote:
I LIKE THE OLD SOLID BRONZE CHINESE REPLICAS BUT DO NOT LIKE THE POTMETAL SOUVINEER FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. I AM SORRY TO SEE CHINESE CRAFTSMEN DO THIS SORT OF THING AS THEY HAVE THE SKILL TO MAKE REPLICAS THAT ARE AS GOOD AS OR IN SOME CASES BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL ITEMS.
Agreed.

Quote:
I CAN ADMIRE THE WORKMANSHIP ON A GOOD DUPLICATE AS MUCH AS I DO THE ORIGINAL AND WILL PAY A FAIR PRICE FOR THAT WORKMANSHIP AND SKILL. WHERE I GET ANGRY IS WHEN A REPLICA IS DESCRIBED AS ORIGINAL AND PRICELESS WHEN I KNOW OTHERWISE.
Same here. I will happily pay a fair price for a quality repro, which is billed as such. If one just prices the cost of copper, just the intrinsic value of a good bronze can be quite a bit; if it is also a fine piece of art, the value can easily be a lot more.
bluelake is offline   Reply With Quote