Thread: Asian polearms
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Philip

I had a conversation about these years ago with Thom Richardson of the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds. When I pointed out that I have encountered a great number of these over the years in sets varying from a half dozen to eight (less if some were missing), and it appeared to me that many of them were never sharpened to begin with and are not well-balanced for use, he pointed out something interesting. Apparently, these were made in sets (you can tell when all of them stand the same height and the solid shanks between the blades and sockets have identical file work) for the curio trade. Yep, as decorator items, complete with carved stands, to satisfy the same Victorian fancy for panoplies of arms for interior decoration. Apparently, the Chinese found a market niche just as Indian craftsmen made somewhat oversized and overdecorated items for commercial sale.

On one occasion I had need to clean and remount a set of these for a collector, on new shafts. The edges of the blades were untempered. On fighting weapons, the edges are of a distinctly harder steel that is visible when polished.

A few years in London I attended a sale at Holts Auctioneers, a firm that sells mostly sporting guns and some antique weapons. There was a complete set of exactly this type of polearm, with the stand. It wasn't for sale at the time (wasn't interested in buying them anyway since my home doesn't have a smoking or billiard room that could use this sort of exotic decor) but I understand that in a subsequent auction they went on the block and were sold.

The tridents are commonly called "tiger forks" but I doubt that if this was indeed their purpose, there weren't enough tigers in all of China to warrant making this many of them. There are real tiger spears in the Forbidden City Museum and they have very stout yet compact heads reminiscent of European boar spears. Or some of the bronze socketed spearheads of China's antiquity. They even have the rawhide thongs with sections of antler to limit the penetration of the head into the animal so it doesn't run up the shaft and take a nip out of the hunter. Such weapons are listed in the inventory of regulations pertaining to imperial regalia, the HUANGCHAO LIQI TUSHI, as tiger spears so there is no doubt what they are. They are also depicted in paintings of hunting scenes, being used alongside matchlock guns. No tridents.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote