View Single Post
Old 19th December 2004, 08:15 PM   #20
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yannis

My apologies. I think I was seeing an optical illusion (or a senor moment ). From this other computer screen, I can now see that in fact it is chased. You're right in that chased is exclusively from the top down onto the metal.

Mare Rosu

Your inscription appears to possibly be a bismallah ("name of God") and done in gold koftgari with some line engraving around the borders of the bismallah. You can even see a little of the koftgari wearing at the edges. Overall, excellent condition of koftgari.

The scabbard in the background is difficult to see. If you could post clearer pictures, that would be helpful. I would take a stab at a possible mixture of soldering of silver pieces and silver stylized wire with perhaps some chasing, though again, I would need clearer details.

The hilt section in the foreground appears to be repoussed, although I have seen and done some chasing work that, if done the right way, can appear to be repoussed like this silver scabbard section that I chased years ago (my second attempt at a scabbard):
Attached Images

Last edited by Battara; 19th December 2004 at 08:25 PM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote