View Single Post
Old 6th January 2019, 06:07 PM   #15
RobT

Default I was wondering the same thing

Hi All,

The dagger I bought last year is very similar to the one shown by G Mansfield and, when I had bought it, I had wondered where it fit within the flyssa/wedding flyssa scheme of things. Given the date of the diorama, I wonder if the daggers in question were transitional between the classic flyssa and the wedding flyssa. Like the daggers shown in the post, my knife has a curved blade typical of the wedding flyssas but the blade engraving, while not up to the quality of the classic flyssa, is of better quality than the typical wedding flyssa. The hilts and cross guards of the wedding flyssas also differ markedly from those on my and G Mansfield's daggers. The hilt and scabbard of my dagger are wood which is sheathed in embossed, low grade silver. The scabbard decorations on the front and back are very different. The back shows what looks for all the world like a series of paired daleths. The blade is about 35.5cm (about 14 in) long and the spine at the hilt is about 6mm (about 7/32 in) thick. While I wouldn't want to fend off a lion with it, the blade appears to be adequate enough for civilian combat. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote