View Single Post
Old 15th January 2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In accord with Jens' note here, it seems to me that armouries were often the place where swords were assembled as required for rank and file, and perhaps even other categories. We all are well acquainted with the fact that blades were typically a separate commodity obtained through various means. Meanwhile, hilts, particularly tulwar hilts in India, were produced often en masse and distributed sometimes widely to other areas where often local decoration may be added.

I recall many years ago Jens mentioning this suggestion of tulwar hilts being stored unmounted so as not to furnish serviceable swords readily in case of insurgence, however that may have simply been presumed by British officials as these arsenals were inspected during the Raj.

It does seem that just as stockpiles of blades have often been discovered, such case might be with tulwar hilts in some degree as these as mentioned were often produced (particularly in Rajasthan centers) and distributed to other regions.

The case for hilts being dismantled for either valuable decoration or precious stones obviously is well known, but that does not sound particularly like the situation with the examples in question.

The pommel disc dilemma is another which has defied any plausible conclusion, just as the hand size lore pertaining to Indian hilts. It does seem that a removable disc option could have been feasible, but that is far from proven in most cases. It does seem I have seen tulwar style hilts which were without the disc (examples from Northwest Frontier regions) but cannot say whether they had been removed or never were there in the first place. It was said once in conversation to me that size of hands in Afghan areas tended to be larger, but that sounded a bit arbitrary I admit.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote