View Single Post
Old 18th January 2015, 05:44 AM   #3
Hotspur

Hi Mark,

I don't think the diamond in the counterguard is specific to a maker, or intended service simply because I see it on a variety of Birmingham swords, my Wooley spadroon has a diamond. With the Thurkle eagles, I typically only see the 1796 like spadroons and the big sabres. I was lucky to find a Thurkle in my price range and that only because it has a cracked blade and looked like it had been in a fire. Mine revealed all its gilt under the soot. It is a big sword, as you might note at the top of the rack.

My files really are a work in progress and I have somewhat slowed down, even to the point of stalling a bit. So much has been well published that while there are still questions to be answered, much has been accounted for. We have come a long way since Peterson's 1954 old testament came out. I still have a lot of questions about Birmingham and John Salter(&Co) specifically because of the longevity of the exports.

The Phrals are spectacular in person. I doubt I will ever own one. I saw a very clean example well into the five figure mark but could only gawk and keep my hands in my pockets. The other American Baltimore and Philadelphia eagles quite scarce on the market as well. There was an interesting Emmor T Weaver eagle a month or so ago that may not be in those files (yet). My all time favorites still seem to be the Boltons. Followed by the Osborn weepers.

Thanks for the interest

GC

Here is that Weaver
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote