View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 02:02 AM   #18
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
The soldiers in the prints at the beginning of this thread look Mongol in appearance which may be a coincidence, but I think I read somewhere that Persia used Turkish warriors as mercenaries?
Mongol, I do not see that myself, but these types of period illustrations do show us some interesting armor, weapons, clothing etc.

"Zal Slays Khazarvan", Folio 104r from the Shahnama (Book of Kings) of Shah Tahmasp

Author:Abu'l Qasim Firdausi (935–1020)
Artist:Painting attributed to 'Abd al-Vahhab
Workshop director:Mir Musavvir (active 1525–60)
Object Name:Folio from an illustrated manuscript
Date:ca. 1525–30
Geography:Made in Iran, Tabriz
Medium:Opaque watercolor, ink, silver, and gold on paper
Dimensions:Painting: H. 11 1/16 in. (28.1 cm) W. 7 3/16 in. (18.3 cm) Page: H. 18 9/16 in. (47.1 cm) W. 12 7/16 in. (31.6 cm) Mat: H. 22 in. (55.9 cm) W. 16 in. (40.6 cm)

"While Afrasiyab fights at Dahistan, a supplementary force is detailed to attack Zabul, home of Zal, of which Mihrab has been left in charge. Through bribery and persuasion, he keeps the Turanians at bay. An urgent message reaches Zal, who returns immediately with his army. He soon dispatches Khazarvan, one of the Turanian commanders, by smashing him on the head with his ox-head mace, then trampling him to death."

("During the Safavid era, following the common geographical convention of the Shahnameh, the term Turan was used to refer to the domain of the Uzbek empire in conflict with the Safavids.")
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote