View Single Post
Old 25th June 2017, 08:55 PM   #13
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Well it might be a little bit wrong as a lot of Ottoman maces are winged maces. Ottoman maces influenced Central european maces. They were very similar.I suspect the turban like or onion shaped like maces to be more for prestige than for war. I might be wrong... I wonder if they are heavy or not...
I think if we identify the maces that are likely to be Persian in style and design the remaining examples can be said for the most part to be Ottoman, the Indian examples are usually easy to Identify. As for the "onion" type round maces...I have nor held one, I asked the seller of one if his was solid, he said it was not. They could have a wood core with a metal exterior, I have seen dented examples but being made hollow would not make any sense except it they were strictly for show.

That being said, I have seen a couple of smooth, round maces which appeared to be solid and I have seen and held one that was solid, very heavy and it would have been a deadly weapon for sure, supposedly Indian but hard to tell on this example. Pictured below.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote