Thread: Javanese Keris?
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2015, 09:42 PM   #11
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The description of this keris given by the seller is not quite accurate.

The blade is 13 luk, pamor is adeg in the body of the blade, and probably what we can call a "flame" pamor in the base ( I can give a Javanese name for this, but I will need to spend more time on analysis of this little patch of pamor in the sorsoran). It is probably a 20th century blade, but I cannot be certain of this from photos, no matter how good.

The wrongko (warangka, scabbard) is Solo (Surakarta) gayaman, which is the informal, everyday style, the wood can probably be classified as kayu pelet, it might be timoho, but I cannot tell from a photo. The pendok (metal scabbard cover) is bunton style, the photos are not good enough for me to identify the embossed motif, but it is most likely lung-lungan ( twining vines and foliage).

The jejeran (ukiran, hilt) is a Madurese style, depicting a serpent, it would be legitimate to describe this as a jejeran with naga motif. The mendak (hilt ring between hilt and blade) is a Central Javanese kendit set with pastes.

The only thing wrong with this keris is the hilt, it is totally out of place, it should be taken off the keris and displayed separately as a miniature sculpture. This existing hilt should be replaced with a Solo planar style of hilt, preferably a yudowinatan model.

Do this and you will have an absolutely correct Solo gayaman keris that could be used for wear on most occasions. It is a recent keris, but most definitely not "tourist", or "wall hanger". It is the real deal, but get rid of that hilt, it does not belong.
Many thanks for this incredible information. This is very generous of you. I could not be more surprised by your last paragraph! I have a modest collection, but of the knives I do have I was sure this one was a display or tourist item. I am very happy to know otherwise. I am not a purist though so a tourist item or display piece would not be out of place in my collection, but it is still nice knowing it is not.

I bought two Keris from this seller. He has never let me down. I had not planned on posting photos of the other one, but am re-thinking that. I was certain it was a display piece. Now I am not so sure.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Harry