Thread: Barong again!
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Shakethetrees

Thanks for the tips!

My primary concern right now is to determine exactly what the grip should look like-how many ferrules, any and what type of wrap gets laid down between the ferrules, how does the scabbard tip look, and possibly other considerations that I'm now wondering about.

The MOP work shown by Vandoo is of a much higher quality than what I think should be on mine. Once I am satisfied as to how it will look, I have no problem making and carving/engraving it myself. I do this type of work professionally on antique metalwork and weapons for thirty years.

There is no outlet on these boards for it, or I would show some stuff I've done.

My hesitancy with Philippine weapons is due to the fact that I don't know squat about them, their regional differences and similarities, etc. I've always liked them from a casual view of history, design, etc. but nothing particularly deep here. Likewise with Indonesian weapons. For whatever reason I've just never had the opportunity to make a detailed study of them.

When I need to make a part for something in my "real world" job, the outcome is based on many years of research and study of design by time periods. If i get stumped I at least know where to go to augment my knowledge and only then will I start to sculpt, mold, cut, or whatever my technique is that I need to use.

But, with a little understanding from you guys who appear to have made a real academic pursuit of what I'm just now getting into, I believe I have the experience and confidence in my abilities to understand the possibilities and limitations of materials that make me comfortable enough to tackle most of what I need to do for a good restoration.

And, as I've been at this for a long, long time, and am on the downside toward retirement, I would think a new forum category could be helpful to the collecting field at large. Just a place to go for advice, simple tricks that allow one to clean up and return to glory a tired old piece or two. Nothing really deep or complex, dangerous or risky to the piece or the operator, but good, sound advice with the idea to maintain and manage the long term health and well being of our collections. The standards of museum conservation and storage should be disseminated and taken to heart here.

Remember, we are only custodians of this stuff, and pay well for the privilege!

I look forward to posting a completed project or two in the near future, and, as always, I welcome your comments!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote