View Single Post
Old 12th November 2009, 05:51 PM   #25
josh stout

This is an interesting discussion. I would like to contribute some stories I have heard about swords and powers/spirits from the Chinese Indonesian community.

My understanding of traditional Chinese sword culture is that a sword is potentially unlucky, due to the inherent power it represents. As a sword is used, its power increases, until some would not be willing to have an antique in their house because the power in it is too great and bad things could happen.

Used weapons in Tibetan culture are kept in an inner sanctuary to be used by guardian spirits in the fight against evil and for protecting the temple. I suspect this also places their power in a safe place to be used for good not evil.

In Chinese Indonesian culture the links to animistic practices are a bit stronger. When a new sword is acquired it must be cleaned, and then put on an alter to attract a good spirit. One offers flowers and incense to encourage a good spirit, or meat to encourage a powerful and potentially more dangerous spirit. Letting people of good will handle a sword without feelings of jealousy also encourages a good spirit. I suspect this is closely aligned with the concept of "isi" because there does not seem to be a direct connection between the quality of a blade and the spirit that can inhabit it. If the sword is a personal weapon, or a family heirloom, it is kept near the alter, usually to one side, but is not usually directly prayed to. I think keeping it near the alter makes it safer.

Particularly interesting is the idea that a sword would not necessarily have a spirit, but that it can acquire one. The spirit can be invited into a sword and change over time according to use and ritual practices.

"Temple swords" and "alter swords" are those specifically to be used in ritual practices and are not to be confused with weapons. They usually have magical incantations and or symbols on them and it is considered bad luck to practice sword dances or other weapon oriented activities with them. There is a practical side to this because the temple swords are often of low quality and may not even be steel, so practicing with them could indeed be dangerous. Nevertheless, once again we can see that the quality of a sword and the power of a spirit within it are not necessarily connected.

In Chinese culture swords should always be respected, never placed on the ground, and not neglected. The people I know from Indonesia sometimes say to clean them every full moon. On the other hand, swords are dangerous, potentially bad luck, and not revered as objects of worship. This often leads to the situation where a sword is placed high up and ignored as it slowly rusts in the high humidity.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote