View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:26 PM   #18
Atlantia

I think that most if not all cultures have some 'history' or attributing a supernatural element to some weapons.
It's not suprising when you consider that often it is weapons technoogy that is at the cutting edge of technological development. It isn't hard to see why that fact and that these items take lives, would lead to them being viewed in such a way.

I can't think of any culture that doesn't have some kind of 'magic' weapons........
Perhaps not Fearns D&D +5 Sentient teleporter But we all seem to have something worth mention.

Of course Excaliber is the most famous magical sword (probobly in the world) But when you think about it, Excalibers powers were not 'that' high on the scale of magical weapons.
After all it was the scabbard that made the wearer invulnerable. Excaliber was just super sharp, could cut anything and could only be broken by being used for dishonorable purpose.
Of course the 'sword in the stone' story has a 'lot' of similarites to Sigfried and 'Gram' being placed in a tree by Odin.
English swords are way harder, they go into stone!

So, how about the Japanese?
Muramasa's swords are cursed and could alegedly produce an effect somewhere between 'bloodlust' and demonic posession in the weilder.

Greek heroes could be given magic swords by the Gods.

Our french members will tell about the paladin Roland's sword Durendal I'm sure.

And if we are going to go the whole hog, then how about the magic weapons weilded by gods and demons?
Thors hammer Mjöllnir (doesn't he chip a shard off of the Rainbow bridge with it that becomes a dagger?), The Arch-Angel Michael slays (other) demons with a sword which is often flaming. Hephestus makes all manner of interesting things in his forge. Diana has a bow, Mars carries a spear, Freyr has a 'dancing' sword... the list is endless!

EDIT: Anyone like fiction? Fred Saberhagens 'books of swords' are pretty freaking sweet if you like your fictional magic weapon stories a bit more meaty that Moorcock.
'Farslayer howls around the world.. for thine heart which hast wronged me'

The guys great! Sci-fi (Berserker novels) to magic swords (Empire of the east onwards) get reading! Pulp fun.

Last edited by Atlantia; 3rd November 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote