View Single Post
Old 17th October 2009, 03:49 PM   #7
celtan

Thanks Norman, Jim and Stu,

I believe this sword was definitely neither designed nor made for a chicken-dodo outfit: It was relatively well done, an elegant fish-skin grip coupled to nicely etched blade.

While it was obviously not designed to be an effective weapon, it was most certainly an status-symbol, whose manufacture quality reflected well on the pertinent Corps, and whose bearer was quite probably honoured to wear it on Public appearances.

So far, we have three possible venues of research: 1. Westminster Abbey (The WA Chapter, Wardens, Coronations?) 2. UK Customs and Revenue 3. The Tower Of London's Beefeaters.

This is the fun-part of collecting: the sleuthing, the networking, the hunt for data !.

Pleeze, do let me know if any one finds anything of interest, specially our colleagues of British origin, and particularly those connected to London.

Cheers!

Manolo

BTW: Let me clarify that the reason I posted the "selling" caveat is because, some time ago, it was advised to warn potential contributors that their comments could be used to provide info on a sword to be sold. Since I never know when I'll trade or sell one of my babies, I figured it would be safer to simply always add the caveat, as requested.

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote