View Single Post
Old 16th October 2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Manolo, what an exceptionally unusual item, which I believe may indeed be associated with the 'Beefeaters', who were termed Tower Warders, and I believe accordingly these may be considered one of thier swords. The style of the weapon is very much in accord with particular corps and departmental swords of the Victorian period, noting that Stuarts suggestion is quite plausible as well.

It seems of course that I have seen something similar in references on British military swords, although these guards are comprised of retired military men of considerable standing and this is unofficially a yeomanry unit. I have checked "Swords of the British Army" (Brian Robson, 1975), but no reference was found, therefore I think it is in one of the earlier books which I do not have with me. Possibly "British Military Swords 1800 to Present Day" by John Wilkinson-Latham (1966) or another one which I cant recall specifically, I think something with similar title, also by another of the Wilkinson's but cannot recall which.
It is possible that it was in the venerable "Sword, Lance & Bayonet" by Ffoulkes and Hopkinson (1938), but these books I have not seen for some time.

In any case, as you have noted, the Westminster arms are indeed with the charges of the portcullis and chains, so are not necessarily confined to the customs unit. The portcullis and chains on the shellguard on your sword would keenly represent the Tower warders as they indeed were in charge of prisoners entering through 'London Gate', the portcullis seen.

Hamburger Rogers were as noted outfitters located in Covent Garden, and I have seen thier etched panel on officers swords of c. 1860's-80's.

I hope this will help a little, and thank you for your candor in noting that this will be an item for sale in the future. It is a most interesting piece and I am glad we had a chance to discuss it here first. I have, as noted, it seems seen something like this at some point in a reference book, but cannot recall ever seeing one offered or discussed, as there cannot have been any significant volume of them.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote