View Single Post
Old 7th September 2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
...this appears to quite possibly [be] a theatrical item, and from late 19th into the early 20th c.
Jim, I believe you are right on target with this assessment.

I once had a medieval sword that I could not fit into Mr. Oakeshott's classification, though I knew he was familiar with the particular sword. So I stared him in the eyes and confessed my inability to place it in his classification and directly asked the master to do so. A most charming reply ensued to the effect that, like several other examples he was aware of, he could not place it in his classification, though he was confident of its antiquity.

In the end a classification is nothing in and of itself (so, no reason to set out to collect one example of each of Oakeshott's types as a basis for a collection). However, it may be a potentially very useful tool to help us identify relationships between and evolution of forms.

Which brings to mind one of my favorites of all sword related internet threads. Someone innocently launched a topic asking for replies as to which of all of the swords in Oakeshott's Records each of the readers would most like to own. Replies as to desired model numbers and names from several reproduction makers ensued and this lead to a clarification of the question - which of the actual illustrated antiques was most desired? And there was a prompt reply - None of them! - who knows where those have been and what evil they have done? - I'll take a fine new sword made expressly for me!

Towards the end Mr. Oakeshott had also accumulated a number of fine modern reproductions and he did delight in being their 'first' owner.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote