View Single Post
Old 8th March 2017, 11:14 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

HiMark,
Sorry for delay in getting back to this thread, lots going on in research etc. (which is great!).
In checking Boccia & Coelho (1975) examples 320 and 321 are apparently marked with virtually the same running wolf, both are from Venice (but not the early schiavonas) and both c. 1535-50. As you have found this mark on blades from Venice , but period we may presume mid to late 16th, it does seem that a number of these blades had come into Venice in this period.

At this time I believe the Passau wolf (as it became known) had still been in use there (the Boccia & Coelho reference cite it as the Passau Wolf) in these times, and perhaps a number of blades had entered the Venice context.
It does seem that about this time, the wolf had become spuriously used in Solingen and these blades may also have been from there.

Whatever the case, the running wolf mark was not as far as I have found, copied in Italy, though other inscriptions and names may have been. Most important is to find a group of these typically loosely applied marks (many almost indiscernible) which are virtually consistent in form and in the same period and regional context.

Its great working on these markings, and I think we are making some headway in many cases, so thank you for sharing the excellent findings and observations here!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote