View Single Post
Old 10th March 2022, 02:49 PM   #7
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
It's a 'universal' food grade 19c oil developed for the German military. It lubricates cleans, polishes, removes powder fouling, copper & lead bore fouling, prevents rust for ages.........t it's non-drying, never gets rancid or sticky, and it smells like anise, Is water-soluble. .....
I had a look and there are many products under this name, Ballistol is the trade mark but the product in question should be the “ Universalöl “as OP shows.

I’ve never used for my krises but maybe a good idea to try at some stage.

The person whom washes my krises advises to use an oil as clear as possible , non acid, to mix with aromatic oils. The aromatic oil sits at the bottom (and you can see it) and it perfumes the oil on top, at least this is what he has learned from his Baninese “ guru” and his brother who is also a well known kris “ washer” in the NL). The perfume is one of the so many acts of respect (if not worship that wouldn’t be allowed) for the kris performed by many in Indonesia (and in the NL too).

I am interested in some comments above

Water soluble? I am not doubting it , I am just curious and genuinely interested...but how is it possible if this is a oil?

Is this oil, generally speaking, used in Indonesia by anyone?

this is the datasheet

( it appears to evaporate at 20ºç)

https://www.ballistol.com/wp-content...S_TECH_BIO.pdf

OP also says that he uses chalk to clean and remove rust , does he think that this would be somewhere in the region of pumex 2000? ( I’ve never used it myself)

Last edited by milandro; 10th March 2022 at 03:09 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote