View Single Post
Old 9th March 2022, 10:32 AM   #1
Roland_M

Default Gentle way to improve Pamor (no chemicals)

During my experiments and etchperiments in finishing polished blades I randomly found out a way to improve the contrast of old Pamor-steel.
Simply by adding a plenty amount of oil and gently rubbing with white chalc. The stuff from old school.
This will not remove anything and also leave no scratches but it will significantly improve the Pamor after a while.
Picture 1 and 2 shows an old Keris, probably from Java. The blade was in awful condition, the pattern was neraly invisible. After two hours of polishing with Ballistol and white chalc, the pattern is clearly visible and totally unexpected, the black color came back a little bit.
The second blade is my personal Keris, so there is no location connected to this Keris, it is a Keris Roland or Keris Saxony, with a nice modern a bit mystical background (this Keris found me!). This blade had heavy corrosion in the highlighted areas, it is still far from being perfect but much better than before and the active rust is stopped, without touching the staining.
I only used the Ballistol in the last picture for that. This type of Ballistol got a strong smell, I cannot quantify the influence of this particular oil to my technique. Watch out, that the blade never becomes dry during the process!

The technique is easy enough for everybody and just a question of time and stamina, no chemicals are required.

Roland
Attached Images

Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote