View Single Post
Old 16th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #19
M ELEY

No, a good point well taken. Brass doesn't cinch it as being maritime. It's just that so many of the naval dirks from all countries in the period we are talking still used dirks and many had these almost archaic stiletto blades on them (remember the American one from my collection). 19th c. dirks of this period wouldn't seem to have blades on them unless they were, as stated, strictly a gunner's dirk and thus, more of a tool. However, has anyone ever seen a gunner-piece of this late period? On ships, there were always strange innovations going on (Jim brings up the unique axe designs of the American navy, with grooves on them for dragging debris out of the way). This one is still a puzzler.
If naval, the crenulations might have had many odd uses, from acting as a fid to loosen knots, strip rope, carving, etc?
If a true gunner's stiletto, could the crenulations have been used just as a numbered blade in older times?(i.e. By counting the notches?). Jim noted the blades on these could be used to puncture the powder bag and I like the idea of breaking off the blade to spike the cannon (it would be weak near the crenulated point, after all).
I have a pic of a naval sword or dirk with a very similar hilt...gotta find it.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote