View Single Post
Old 24th December 2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Gentlemen,
This is definitely not my area of knowledge and passion, but I could not resist the e-bay offering.
Therefore, I would most appreciate your help and opinions on the age and quality of this tajong.

The scabbard consists of two parts, and they are separated. the line beween them is not straight, with a small gap, but doesn't look broken. The largest " wing" has some small losses of wood.

The handle is covered in some kind of black varnish, and a lot of it. The beak looks like copper. I took it to local jewelry store to test for swaasa. They got a new laser gizmo to test for precious metals, and the beak was the first time they actually used it. I was told that there was no gold, but may take it to another store to retest ( they did not seem to know how to use the gizmo very well).

The blade is very healthy, thick, with no active rust and no obvious losses. However, it is completely covered with dark patina-like darkening.

To show the details of the carving and the blade, I photographed them both with and w/o flash.

Should I try and remove the varnish? How? should I clean and polish the blade? Should I try and re-glue the scabbard? Fill the gap?

Do you need any more pictures?

Thank you very much in advance.
Hello Ariel,

I think you have get a good old Tajong there. The first step I would do is to reglue the two parts of the sheath. Look before if there is old glue and when remove carefully this old glue with a sharp knife. When you have removed this old glue put them together and look, maybe the gap isn't anymore. Use wood glue and not any chemical glue for this.
About the handle: Try carefully at a small area to remove the varnish with lighter fuel. It is maybe shellac and it will be possible to remove it with it. When this will be possible you have very good luck since it will be possible to remove this ugly varnish without destroy the very nice handle. the beak I would polish carefully, by the colour you will see if it is suassa.
This is what I would do. But please do all very carefully because you have a very nice and worthy keris in your hands. You can be happy that I haven't seen this auction!!
Please inform about your success.
Look also this thread where I have done a restauration of a Tajong: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=tajong
Maybe this thread will be of some help for your project.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote