View Single Post
Old 19th August 2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default ? Chinese knife daosi

Hello all, this turned up today in a box that I was unpacking.

I got it years ago from an estate sale of a family of Italian descent with roots in San Francisco.

I know that the lady from who's estate this came directly out of ran a grocery/butcher shop many years ago and had a lot of knives, all run of the mill, but good quality professional grade butcher knives of various sizes and shapes, except for this one and another that I believe is a Russian trade knife from the Northern California coast/Russian River area. Whenever I locate it I will post it as well.

I couldn't pass 'em up!

To me this knife has the proportions of a Chinese knife with the thick guard, somewhat odd pommel and overall "feel" of a 19th century Chinese knife, (daosi, if my pinyin is still correct!) several others of which I have that are without question from there.

In researching I came across a site that explores Chinese gangs in San Francisco known as "Highbinders", with pictures of their weapons seized whenever they were rounded up in raids by SF law enforcement.

My last attempt at posting a website was a dismal failure, but I will try again soon.

I just wanted to get this image up to see if there's any interest in commenting on it.
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote